Saturday, March 7, 2009
This is my favorite time of year. The month that leads up to the Masters. I enjoy the final US Open round on Father's Day. The British Open (Open Championship) is unique because it is on in the morning (and looks nothing like the golf courses here). And the PGA Championship always means it's time to go back to school (I am a teacher). But, to me, there is something special about the Masters. I was able to go to a practice round in 2007. Few things in my life have ever lived up to the hype with the exception of two: fatherhood and actually setting foot on Augusta National. When I think of great golfers, I inevitably picture them at the Masters. My grandfather lived in the South, loved golf, and loved the Masters (that's probably where I got it). Before the birth of my son, I kept track of years by either who won the Masters or who made great stories at that year's tournament. In 1986, I got home from a youth group event just in time to see Jack's back nine charge. In 1992, I can remember watching Freddie (how did that ball not go in the water) at a girlfriend's house. In 1995, I watched from the clubhouse bar as John Huston made his second shot on the 18th hole. I'm sitting here smiling at the memories that are coming back. And in 2007, i was able to see those place in person. If you get the chance go. Don't wait, the chance may never come again. I hope I get the chance to go one more time. In about 10 years when I know my son will remember it for the rest of his life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment